The Del Rio Sector of the US Border PatrolHouses for Sale in the US Border Patrol Del Rio Sector
The Del Rio Sector of the US Border Patrol spans 210 miles along the Rio Grande River and Lake Amistad. The sector comprises 59,541 square miles of Texas, covering 41 counties, and stretching 300 miles into Texas from the Mexico border.
The Rio Grande River makes up the Del Rio Sector’s southern boundary. The riverbank and adjacent terrain is rough, with mesquite, sagebrush, and river cane reaching 8-12 feet in height. In most places, the river can be accessed using vehicles via unpaved trails, but horses are best for the roughest of areas. Visibility can be less than 50 feet in dense brush.
Established July 1st 1924, the Sector was initially patrolled by two mounted Border Patrolmen, previously employed by the US Government as “Mounted Inspectors”. They were moved into the new Border Patrol Agency, and were joined by additional agents appointed as Border Patrolmen who were part of a Civil Service Register for railway mail clerks. In 1926, a building was rented in Del Rio by the Border Patrol at First Street and Main, serving as the first Sector Headquarters Office.
Border Patrolmen would receive $25 per month for using their own horses, and $75 per month for using their own automobiles. In 1926 the Government purchased several new 1926 Chevys, and began to purchase horses in 1938. The use of horses ended in 1951, until the Horse Patrol returned to operation in 2000.
More US Border Patrol History.