Brackettville, Texas and Fort Clark Springs
Brackettville, Texas is located in Kinney County about 30 miles East of Del Rio.
Fort Clark Springs also has an RV park with 85 full hookup RV sites, and a wilderness camping area for tents.
The third largest natural spring fed swimming pool in Texas is located in Fort Clark Springs. The pool stays 68 degrees year around. A spacious park surrounds the pool, equipped with BBQ facilities and picnic tables.
The Old Quarry Amphitheater offers a rustic outdoor venue ideal for weddings, receptions, dances, concerts, theater productions and much more.
Fort Clark Springs Motel is located in the fort’s historic cavalry barracks. The Motel is centrally located, within walking distance from many of the park’s amenities.
Fort Clark was a U.S. Military fort that operated for almost 100 years, from 1852 to shortly after WWII. Fort Clark is on the National Register of Historic Places. The site is located at the headwaters of Las Moras Creek near a spring, named "The Mulberries" and had long served as a camp for Comanche, Mescalero, Lipan, and other Indians.
During the Civil War and the secession of Texas, Federal (Union) soldiers left Fort Clark, in 1861, not returning until 1866. The Second Texas Mounted Rifles occupied the fort until August 1862. It later served as a supply depot and a hospital for Confederate troops and civilians.
By June 1944, the US Cavalry had become fully mechanized, and the government closed Fort Clark, one of the last horse-cavalry posts in the country. The Fort was officially deactivated in early 1946.
With the establishment of Fort Clark, the neighboring village of Las Moras was established by Oscar B Brackett as a supply hub for the Fort. The town's name was changed to Brackett in 1856, and later to Brackettville. The stage coach ran through the settlement and for almost a century the town and the Fort remained closely identified.
(All photos courtesy of Fort Clark Springs)